Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Outsiders

Today we had the spring pep assembly. I love pep assemblys, hey an hour away from boring classes and a shortened day, what's not to like??? I love watching the dance team perform, the team captains do humiliating things as we stand by and laugh, and my favorite part is the spirit stick competitions. I have to brag a bit this years junior class was the only one in a long time to get the spirit stick as freshman and we got it last term and probably other terms too but yeah we pretty much rock. These pep assemblies are a lot of fun for classes to bond and cheer together but the thing I hate about it is the pep band. No no I love the music they play, Iam IN the pep band but I don't like the fact that we have to sit there like losers when everyone else is up there on the podiums or with their class cheering. There are freshman through seniors in the band but we have to sit in the band section so when we cheer for our class our cheers dont really count because we are so far away from everyone. The only time it actually matters is if you are a senior and sometimes you can sneak into your side because the seniors are right next to us but what about everyone else? During the winter assembly we have a group caroling contest so me and my friends aimlessly sing "Frosty the Snowman" in the band section while the juniors are blaring away over in their section. Another thing is everyone stands at pep assemblys EXCEPT the band and whenever band members try to stand up and actually get into they get yelled at by students behind them because band kids are a bunch of grumpy people lacking school spirit I guess... :p Anyway the thing is I don't think we need a pep band for pep assemblies it isn't really fair to us I mean I have NEVER gotten to sit with my own section for any of these assemblies, we only play the fight song anyway and let's be honest everyone could care less whether we were playing or not. They play new age pop songs too like "Don't Stop Believing" and "Boom Boom Pow" why can't we just listen to those songs? Let's make a recording of the fight song and just play that so us band kids can get the same experience that everyone else has had. It sounds like a silly little thing but I haven't gotten the true pep assembly experience my whole highschool career and I don't think that is fair.

~Mildred

No comments:

Post a Comment