Saturday, January 30, 2010

What is Love?

LOVE
–noun
1.
a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2.
a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3.
sexual passion or desire.
4.
a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5.
(used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6.
a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7.
sexual intercourse; copulation.
8.
(initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9.
affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10.
strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11.
the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12.
the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13.
Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
14.
a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
–verb (used with object)
15.
to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16.
to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17.
to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18.
to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19.
to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20.
to have sexual intercourse with.
–verb (used without object)
21.
to have love or affection for another person; be in love.—Verb phrase
22.
love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets. —Idioms
23.
for love,
a.
out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
b.
without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24.
for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25.
in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26.
in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
27.
make love,
a.
to embrace and kiss as lovers.
b.
to engage in sexual activity.
28.
no love lost, dislike; animosity: There was no love lost between the two brothers.



I just got back from seeing When in Rome. Of course it was a 100% chick flick filled with laughter, sadness, and of course mushy gushy kissing scenes. It was all about love and finding true love and yadda yadda yadda and with Valentines Day on the way I got to thinking what is love really? How do you know your in love? Are teenagers really too young and therefore incapable of loving someone like a wife and husband do? I see people making out in the hallway at school and after they are done sticking their tongues down each others throats they whisk each other away to their classes with a kind "I love you!" My old attitude used to be are you kidding me?!? You don't love each other. First of all you are ninth graders barely old enough to drive anywhere, straight out of middle school you don't even know what love is! Everytime I would walk by something like this and think something like that I would say to myself...boy I sound like my mother! But this is how I honestly felt and then I got to thinking who am I to judge? Maybe they do love each other! We say they don't know what love is. But I love my mother, I love my father, I love my cousin, I love my sister, I love my friends I know what love is! I know what I feel like when I get to spend time with them and I'm sure they have people like that in their lives too so why could these two people not be in love? Of course I am not saying that every couple you see walking through the halls of Kennedy that say they love each other are actually in love but I'm saying that I think we need to cut some of them slack. My middle school art teacher said that in Native American languages there are over twenty different ways of saying the word love because there are so many different types of love. The love you give your friends, the love you give to your parents, the love you give your husband the love you give to well yeah you know so on. But this is true I don't love my parents like I love my friends. Love is a powerful feeling that I feel shouldn't just be thrown around willy nilly it should be said between two people only when they absolutely mean it and only when BOTH are absolutely ready. Have I ever been in love with a guy? Well I guess you will never know? I have a good idea if I have or not but I'm not telling you! Haha So with Valentines Day on the way don't sit around being a Valentines Day scrooge! Go out and have fun with the people you love. NO YOU DON'T NEED A DATE! Go out and party with your friends :) They love you. Stay in and have a dinner with your family :) They love you too. So with that I bid you adieu and I LOVE YOU! :)



~Mildred
<3

2 comments:

  1. Clever use of definition. However, I think your question is now where is the love, not what it is.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol omg I love that song :) Heehee thank you!

    ReplyDelete