Sunday, January 24, 2010

District Speech Competition

Over the weekend the Kennedy Speech team competed at Districts in Monticello Iowa. Speech team is actually not what it sounds like where you write speeches and give speeches. It is actually where people prepare different categories of acting like musical theatre, mime, one act play etc. and compete against people from all over Iowa. Kennedy prepares a Choral Reading, Readers Theatre, a couple musical theatres, several mimes and many other categories that go and compete in this competition. I am participating in an individual mime and a group mime. My individual mime is about a little three year old girl who is domestically abused and it is to the music of Josh Grobans "Believe". My group mime is about white water rafting and it is more upbeat and funny. I was really nervoust the morning I competed. I was scared to do my individual because it was the first time I had competed by myself and I was one of the first ones to go of that day in that center. After seeing two people perform though I was less nervous and did pretty well. My group mime did the best they had ever done I thought too. Both my individual and group mime got ones and will be moving onto State speech competition which will take place at Prairie in about two weeks. Most of the Kennedy groups got ones and moved onto state except for a radio news and tv news. But I would say overall we did really well and I cannot wait to compete to go to All State! There will be a speech night the friday before State competition where all the groups will show the parents and other speech members what they have been working so hard on.

~Mildred

No comments:

Post a Comment