Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dissection; An Ethical Dilemma...

So last night I had the strangest dream. I dreamt that my two best friends and me and my best friend were dissecting a fetal pig and a pregnant cat. We were cutting into them and peeling their skin back, it was an overall disgusting image and I woke up with a jolt. Great. I was having nightmares. I knew this would happen eventually. You see me and my friend are dissecting a pregnant cat in AP Biology. Last year I dissected a frog but we were obligated to. Or more we were required to. This year we got to choose our specimens and that is where my nightmares are coming from. My friend wants to be a doctor when she grows up and so she thought it would be cool to do a pregnant cat to see inside it and what not. Our teacher informed us that once we placed our orders these animals would be killed specifically for this reason and that is where I was wondering whether or not this was right. I mean this was'nt probably somebody's pet cat that was just taken out of their home but it was most likely a stray or one that was raised specifically for this reason but still. Was killing a cat for the purpose of learning ethically right? This is the question on my mind. That was a living human creature but it wasn't like it was a human but still where do you draw the line from oh it isn't a human to it is okay to kill it? Not only are we killing one cat but four cats because it is pregnant. So I feel that the answer to this question is up to you to decide and what you feel is right or wrong.

~Mildred

No comments:

Post a Comment