Thursday, May 6, 2010

Catching the Culture: Wiccan Religion


The other day in French class my friend and I were sitting together working on homework. "I'm tired." She said. "I'm not!" I exclaimed. "Give me some of your energy!!" I laughed, "Okay haha." As I made a grabbing motion at my chest I "blew my energy" at her. "You're bad at making energy balls." She said. Still thinking we were joking around I laughed and asked how a proper energy ball was made in which she proceded to show me. She put her hand slightly on top of mine and asked if I could feel the "heat" between our hands. That, she said, was the energy between us. She told me how one day at her church a Wiccan came and taught them how to make energy balls and transfer them from person to person. (Which she tried to do to me.) She also said how this Wiccan taught them how to get answers from the universe by centering themselves and asking yes or no questions. I didn't know much about these people but I thought that they studied witchcraft and stuff like that so I dumbly asked "Don't they worship the devil?" She laughed and said that they had nothing to do witht that. That those were Satanists. I was still unsure so I decided to research a little about Wicca. Wicca is a Neopagan religion which goes back to the Celtic culture in 800 BC. The confusing thing about Wiccans is that they don't have a certain time that they started so there is no set in stone review of their religion. They have no main book or no main rules to their religion so it is hard for people to learn about them. Wiccans can be considered monotheistic, polytheistic, atheist, etc. Because they do believe in a higher god or goddess. Some believe these two are one (monotheistic), some believe they are two (duotheistic), some believe in these two gods along with many others much like the greek gods (polytheistic) and some believe in these gods but they look at them more as symbols not as actual living deities. Witchcraft and Wicca are not the same thing, some Wiccans practice witchcraft but witchcraft is the study of magic and Wicca is a religion. Not all Wiccans do witchcraft. Wicca is the belief in earth like stuff they pay a lot of attention to nature like the wind, rain, earth etc. They have a strong belief in preserving the earth and the environment.
~Mildred

No comments:

Post a Comment